• Your cart is empty

Home > Locos



West Somerset Railway Locomotive Rosters

September Roster, please click here

October Roster, please click here

Festive Season Loco Roster, please click here

Please note that the locomotive rosters are correct at the time of print but are subject to change for operational, mechanical or any other reason. If you are visiting the railway to see a specific locomotive it is advisable to call us on 01643 704996 to confirm the locomotives availability.

Steam Locomotives of the West Somerset Railway


The following is a list of steam engines based on or associated with the West Somerset Railway. Please note that they will not all be in service at any one time and may be in the workshops being serviced. There is no regular public access to the Railway’s workshops but they are usually open to the public on Steam Gala weekends.


The "Manor” Class was designed by C.B. Collett for work on the lighter built main lines of the Great Western, such as the former Cambrian system in Mid Wales, and the first 20 emerged from Swindon Works in 1938. A further 10 were built by the Western Region, also at Swindon, in 1950 and 7828 was one of these.

The loco spent most of its 15 year B.R. career on the Cambrian. It then went to the Barry Yard before being purchased by Mr Ken Ryder and it moved to the WSR from the East Lancs Railway in the 1990’s. Mr Rtder subsequently sold it to the WSR and it is approaching the end of a heavy overhaul. 7828 was known throughout its mainline and earlier WSR career as "Odney Manor” but in 2011 was named "Norton Manor” in honour of the base of 40 Commando which is the neighbour of the line at Norton Fitzwarren. Just to confuse things the original plans for the class included extra locomotives and the never-built 7830 was due to be named "Norton Manor”.

There are two more "Manors” with WSR connections, both from the 1950 batch.

7820 "Dinmore Manor” was purchased by Dinmore Manor Locomotive Limited from the Gwili Railway. It was a regular performer on the line in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s before being withdrawn for overhaul which is now underway at Tyseley in Birmingham.

7821 "Ditcheat Manor” is owned by the West Somerset Railway Association but is not presently fit for service and is on display in STEAM Museum in Swindon.



The first major locomotive overhaul to be completed by the WSR back in 1987 after much preliminary work carried out at Radstock and Washford by its owners the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust. It ran just under 50,000 miles over the WSR after this before a further major overhaul at the end of the 20th century which entailed almost complete reconstruction of the boiler. Number 88 is one of two surviving members of an original class of eleven designed for working heavy freight trains over the Mendip Hills although they were also used on holidays trains between Bath and Bournemouth.

The engine was built by Robert Stephenson and Sons in 1925 and originally carried a non-standard 5 feet 3 inch diameter boiler. This was removed during an overhaul at Derby in the 1950’s and was replaced by a standard one from withdrawn "Midland Compound” 41097. The loco was withdrawn from British Railways service in 1963 as 53808 and spent time in the scrapyard at Barry before being purchased by the SDRT as part of the abortive "Radstock Prokect” in the late 1960’s.



The most controversial steam engine in the history of the WSR. The design for this locomotive dates from the 1930’s but the Great Western never actually built any engines of this type, opting instead for the 2251 Class of 0-6-0. However in the 1990’s the West Somerset purchased "Large Prairie” number 5193 in unrestored condition and took the decision to create the "engine that never was”. This stirred up considerable heated debate but since its entrance into traffic 9351 has proved to be an excellent performer, well suited to the secondary main line nature of the WSR.



The first of this series of heavy freight engines was designed by G.J. Churchward and entered service in 1903. So powerful and popular were they that the Western Region of British Railways tried to have another batch built half a century later, although that request was declined.

The 2884 series was a modification of the original design by C.B. Collett and it emerged from Swindon Works in 1942, spending two decades mainly at the head of heavy coal and mineral trains. After withdrawal it spent another 20 years in Barry Scrapyard before coming to the WSR in the 1980’s as the first engine to be purchased by the Group which has now become Dinmore Manor Locomotive Ltd. For various reasons its return to traffic was a protracted one and took two further decades but today it is the most powerful hauler in the home fleet. DML Ltd now wn two further GWR 2-8-0’s number 2874 and 3845 but these are stored away from the line in unrestored condition.



Technically a British Railways built machine as it was completed in March 1948, two and a half months after Nationalisation, at Swindon. It came to the West Somerset Railway at the start of the 1990’s and was restored by the "Iffy Rivet Company” a volunteer group whose workmanship completely belied their self-imposed name. "Large Prairies” were regular performers on Minehead trains in steam days and 4160 has been a popular engine with crews and visitors for almost two decades now.  The Large Prairies main duties were at the head of heavy suburban and stopping trains but part of 4160’s working life on British Railways was spent assisting heavy freight trains through the Severn Tunnel.



Built in 1929 in Bristol "Kilmersdon” is a typical small industrial shunting engine which spent its working career at the colliery of the same name in North Somerset, becoming the last steam engine to work in industry in the county. Today it is the care of the Somerset and Dorset and Railway Trust at Washford and is usually steamed to give shunting demonstrations during Gala events.